Alternative Voting Systems: Creating More Representative
Government for All
Executive Director of Fix Democracy First
Saturday, October 20 – 9:30am
Best Western Plus Executive Inn
200 Taylor Ave North
Seattle, WA 98109
Most Americans agree that our democracy is broken. Big money dominating elections, low voter turnout, and overall apathy are all symptoms of a democracy in trouble. How we can we turn this around and build a functioning, thriving, healthy democracy, that truly represents the people? Learn about some solutions to tackling these problems, like adopting alternative voting systems using ranked choice voting and multi-member districts to establish more proportional representation, giving more voice to the people and establishing a true democracy for all.
FairVote is a national, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3)h non-profit organization that “seeks to make democracy fair, functional, and more representative.” FairVote Washington is a separate organization that works in alliance with FairVote as part of a network of state-based organizations to promote voting reform across the country. We are a non-partisan, grassroots group supporting ranked choice voting initiatives. FairVote Washington is currently a project of Fix Democracy First.
Book Exchange at the September Meeting!
Bring a book to pass along and/or take a book to enjoy!
Cost: $15 inclusive – No charge for students with ID (reservations required).
Menu: Hot breakfast buffet including breads, fruit juice, freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea.
Parking: Free in hotel garage. Members who park in the garage or hotel lot can sign the book at the front desk and give their name and license plate number. 10-hour curbside pay stations on Taylor and on Thomas at $1.50 per hour. Bus: #8 on Denny.
Reservations are required by Sunday, October 14, 2018. To reserve your place, send an email to: RSVP@aauw-seattle.org now.
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2018-2019 Seattle Branch AAUW Programs
- Saturday, October 20, 2018, 9:30 am – FairVote WA at Best Western Executive Inn.
- Saturday, November 10, 2018, 10:30am – FREE – Humanities Washington at Third Place Commons in Lake Forest with Humanities Washington Speaker Dr. Anu Taranath on Not Just For Kids: How Children’s Inspire Bold Adult Conversations. This program is sponsored by Humanities Washington and hosted by AAUW Seattle and Edmonds SnoKing Branches. More Information ( https://seattle-wa.aauw.net/special-program/)
- 9:30-10:00 am – Conversation and no-host coffee in Third Place Commons Food Court, where refreshments can be purchased
- 10:00–10:20 – Branch announcements in Third Place Commons Theatre area
- 10:30–11:30 – Program in Third Place Commons Theatre area
- Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:30 am – Annual Holiday Program at Seattle Yacht Club with Fourcast a cappella chorus.
- Saturday, January 19, 2019, 9:30 am – AAUW Grant and Fellowship Recipients at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn.
- Saturday, February 9, 2019, 9:30am – Michelle Meriweather, President of Urban League at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn.
- Saturday, March 16, 2019, 9:30 am – Immigration and Refugee panel led by AAUW member Barbra Spraker at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn.
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 7:00 pm – Scholar Recognition with speaker from Blue Origin at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn.
- Saturday, May 18, 2019, 9:30 am – Annual Meeting with Pamela Beer, President of Women Painters of Washington at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn.
- Saturday, September 8th, 9:30am – DeLancey lane, AAUW-WA College and University Outreach