“The Road to Full Equality and to Full Impact”
at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn
200 Taylor Ave North
Saturday, March 17, 2018
Barbara Spraker is a former professor at Antioch University Seattle. Her professional focus is Women Leading the Way (www.womenleadingtheway.com). Barbara will speak to us about Gender Equity – where we are and where we need to go. In 1960, in the US, it was perfectly acceptable, and legal, to refuse to hire a woman, simply because she was a woman. If she wanted to attend Harvard, Yale, or Princeton – too bad – they did not admit women. And if she wanted to open a bank account or get a credit card, the bank required that her husband co-sign.
HUGE strides have been made. Now women are engaged in every imaginable occupation and profession. AND yet – there is a long journey ahead before women are able to bring their full perspective abilities, wisdom and vision to every aspect of our society. Comes join the conversation…What have you experienced? What are your frustrations, concerns, hopes? Vision for the future?
This is a topic that impacts every women! This is a great opportunity to bring a guest. Considering bringing a woman from another culture, a woman of a generation younger, or older than yourself. Remember, when you bring a first time guest to a meeting your guest is FREE!
COME JOIN US!
Location: Best Western Plus Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Ave North, Seattle, WA
Cost: $15.00 inclusive. No charge for students with ID but (reservations are required)
Menu: Delicious breakfast selection, breakfast breads, fruit juice, freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea.
Parking: Free in hotel garage. Members who park in the garage or hotel lot can sign the book at the front desk and give their name and license plate number. 10-hour curbside pay stations on Taylor and on Thomas at $1.50 per hour. Bus: #8 on Denny.
RESERVATIONS REQUIRED BY Monday, March 12, 2018
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2017-2018 Seattle Branch AAUW Programs
- March 10, 2018 – UW Women’s Center Annual Gala at the Seattle Sheraton Hotel
- March 17, 2018 – 9:30am -Branch Meeting with Barbara Spraker on “Where We Are Now and How to Move Forward” at Best Western Plus Executive Inn
- April 18, 2018 – 7:00pm – Scholar Recognition Reception at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn
- April 27-29, 2018 – WA AAUW State Convention at the Davenport Hotel, Spokane, WA
- May 19 2018 – 9:30am – Annual Meeting & Elections with Mary Lou Sanelli on “Among Friends”
- September 16, 2017 – 9:30am – Alison McCaffree, a King County League member, will talk about the book she has written about her mother, Mary Ellen McCaffree,
- October 21, 2017 – 9:30am – Annie Blackledge, Executive Director of The Mockingbird Society
- November 28, 2017 – Dress For Success at Dress For Success Seattle
- December 16, 2017 – 9:30 am – Holiday Program at Seattle Yacht Club with the Endolyne Children’s Choir of West Seattle
- January 20, 2018 – 9:30am -Branch Meeting at Best Western Plus Executive Inn with Eve Riskin &Sonya Cunningham on “Diversifying the Engineering Workforce”
- January 29, 2018 – 8:30am – AAUW Lobby Day at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Olympia, WA
- February 10, 2018 – Dr. Devon Atchison on “A Crash Course on the History of Intersectionality: When White Privilege and Sexism Collide” at Best Western Plus Executive Inn