AAUW Seattle Branch Meeting
Winemaker & Co-Owner at Welcome Road Winery
“Breaking the Grape Ceiling: A Woman in Wine in a Man’s World”
Welcome Road Winery
3804 California Ave SW
Wednesday, March 22 – 6-7:30pm
Leigh McMillan is a co-owner of and winemaker at Welcome Road Winery. Welcome Road is an award-winning, boutique winery known for their Syrah and Bordeaux-style blends. Leigh started making wine in 2011, after studying viticulture and enology at Washington State University. She also works as Head of Marketing for ReachNow, which is a new premium car sharing service in the Seattle area. Leigh and co-owner Kristen Dorrity were inspired to start a winery after visits to wine country throughout France and eastern Washington. Their winery is named Welcome Road after a road near Mount Baker where they have a cabin.
Leigh will discuss her experience as a woman in the world of winemaking and we’ll have the opportunity to taste “Wine as Adventurous as you are.” You won’t want to miss this interesting and fun event. Please join us!
Parking: on the Street
Menu: We will sample 5 different types of wine and enjoy appetizers from the Husky Deli
There is no cost for this event, however RESERVATIONS ARE ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, AS SPACE IS LIMITED. RSVP by Friday, March 17th by e-mailing RSVP@aauw-seattle.org.
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2016-2017 Seattle Branch AAUW Programs
- March 22, 2017 -Leigh McMillan, winemaker & co-owner of Welcome Road Winery, at the Welcome Road Winery, 3804 California Avenue Southwest, Seattle, WA
- April 19, 2017, Scholar Recognition Event, at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- April 22, 2017, AAUW WA Annual Meeting, Cedar River Watershed Educational Center, North Bend, WA
- May 20, 2017, Annual Meeting at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- June 14-17, 2017, National AAUW Convention, Washington, D.C.
Past Programs Seattle Branch AAUW 2016-2017
- September 17, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Michelle LaRue on “Gettysburg: One Woman’s War” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- October 22, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Amy Rubin on “Women Composers: Their Music and Their Stories” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- November 19, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Jeanne Kohl-Welles on “Human Trafficking in Washington” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- December 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Holiday Program at the Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, WA.
- January 2017 – 9:30am-noon – Carolyn Koehnline on “Confronting Clutter” at the Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, WA.
- January 30, 2017 – Lobby Day, Olympia, WA
- February 18, 2017 – Lorena Gonzalez, Seattle City Councilmember, “Representation Matters: One Woman’s Story, From Fieldwork to Full Council“, at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle.
Past Programs Seattle Branch AAUW 2015-2016
- September 19, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – Theresa McCormick, Seattle Branch member, will speak about her book, “A Far Cry From Here”May 21, 2016 – 9:30 am – noon – Annual Meeting with Dana Twight on the 2016 elections at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA
- October 24, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – Pam Crone, Seattle Branch member and AAUW Washington State lobbyist
- November 21, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – UW Women’s Center update and presentation from our NCCWSL students
- December 19, 2015 – Holiday Meeting with quartet Vivacé
- January 16, 2016 – 9:30 am – noon – speakers from Real Change on homelessness
- February 20, 2016 -Jerry Large, Seattle Times columnist, on “Race and the Power of Stories”.
- March 19, 2016 – Alice Rothchild on her documentary of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA
- April 27, 2016 – 7pm – Scholars Recognition Evening Reception at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA