Seattle Branch AAUW Presents:
Amy Rubin, Composer/Pianist,
“Woman Composers: Their Music and Their Stories”
Best Western Plus Executive Inn
200 Taylor Ave North
Seattle, WA 98109
Saturday, October 22 – 9:30am
Join composer/pianist Amy Rubin in a conversation about an eclectic group of women composers from different time periods and musical worlds, including Hildegard von Bingen, Clara Schumann, Fanny Mendelssohn Margaret Bonds, and Chinquiha Gonzaga. What were their inspirations and challenges? Who were their mentors? How did they each balance societal expectations for women with the demands of being a creative artist?
Through a unique combination of live piano performance, musical analysis, film clips and storytelling, Amy will create vibrant portraits of these amazing women, whose works are still often unknown treasures and whose stories of perseverance still hold the power to inspire. We will conclude with a dialogue about the opportunities available to women composers today.
As a member of the Humanities WA Speakers Bureau, Amy has toured Washington with her innovative mixture of stories, visuals and live piano performance. Come Amy as she presents to AAUW Seattle Branch.
Cost: $15 inclusive – No Charge for Students with ID (Reservations Required)
Menu: Cinnamon Caramel Pumpkin Pancakes with Hickory Bacon and Diced Fresh Fruit Cup, served with chilled juice, freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea.
Parking: Free in hotel garage. Members who park in the BW garage or front lot can sign the book at the front desk and give their name and license plate number. 10-hour curbside pay stations on Taylor and on Thomas at $1 per hour; nearby lots $5-10/day. Bus #8 on Denny.
Reservations required by Sunday, October 16th, 2016
Contact Penny Tetter at: RSVP@aauw-seattle.org or click below to pay $15 in advance via PayPal.
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2016-2017 Seattle Branch AAUW Programs
- October 22, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Amy Rubin on “Women Composers: Their Music and Their Stories” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- November 19, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Jeanne Kohl-Welles on “Human Trafficking in Washington” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- December 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Holiday Program at the Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, WA.
- January 2017 – 9:30am-noon – Carolyn Koehnline on “Confronting Clutter” at the Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, WA.
- January 30, 2017 – Lobby Day, Olympia, WA
- February 18, 2017 – TBA
- March 2017 -Leigh McMillan, winemaker & co-owner of Welcome Road Windery
- April 19, 2017, Scholar Recognition Event, at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- April 22, 2017, AAUW WA Annual Meeting, Cedar River Watershed Educational Center, North Bend, WA
- May 20, 2017, Annual Meeting at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
- June 14-17, 2017, National AAUW Convention, Washington, D.C.
Past Programs Seattle Branch AAUW 2016-2017
- September 17, 2016 – 9:30am-noon – Michelle LaRue on “Gettysburg: One Woman’s War” at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA.
Past Programs Seattle Branch AAUW 2015-2016
- September 19, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – Theresa McCormick, Seattle Branch member, will speak about her book, “A Far Cry From Here”May 21, 2016 – 9:30 am – noon – Annual Meeting with Dana Twight on the 2016 elections at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA
- October 24, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – Pam Crone, Seattle Branch member and AAUW Washington State lobbyist
- November 21, 2015 – 9:30 am – noon – UW Women’s Center update and presentation from our NCCWSL students
- December 19, 2015 – Holiday Meeting with quartet Vivacé
- January 16, 2016 – 9:30 am – noon – speakers from Real Change on homelessness
- February 20, 2016 -Jerry Large, Seattle Times columnist, on “Race and the Power of Stories”.
- March 19, 2016 – Alice Rothchild on her documentary of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA
- April 27, 2016 – 7pm – Scholars Recognition Evening Reception at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle, WA