King County League Member
on the book
“Politics of the Possible”
Best Western Plus Executive Inn
200 Taylor Avenue N
September 16, 2017 at 9:30am
Alison McCaffree, MSME, MBA, has a wide range of leadership, management and community organizing experience including launching Washington State’s first nonprofit association. She is currently active in promoting awareness about our congressional and legislative redistricting process and its importance to our representative form of government. Alison will compare and contrast her grandmother Mary Ellen McCaffree’s political career to her own advocacy efforts. Mary Ellen was a 4-term State Representative and the first woman to be the Director of the Department of Revenue. Alison helped her grandmother, then almost 90 years old, write a book called Politics of the Possible, which tells the story of Mary Ellen’s exciting decade in the Washington State Legislature.
Join us on to discuss:
- How the media, the pace of communication and computer technology influence activism
- How building relationships continues to be critical to leading change
- How to develop a long-range advocacy plan that crosses multiple disciplines
Come Join Us!
Location: Best Western Plus Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Ave North, Seattle, WA
Cost: $15 inclusive – No charge for students with ID (Reservations required)
Menu: Greek vegetable scramble, served with chilled fruit juice, freshly brewed Caffe Vita coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea, and breakfast breads.
Parking: Free in hotel garage. Members who park in the garage or hotel lot can sign the book at the front desk and give their name and license plate number. 10-hour curbside pay stations on Taylor and on Thomas at $1.50 per hour. Bus: #8 on Denny.
Reservations required by Sunday, September 10, 2017. Contact Pam Forsha at RSVP@aauw-seattle.org or pay in advance via Pay Pal thru the link below.
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2017-2018 Seattle Branch AAUW Programs
- September 16, 2017 – 9:30am – Alison McCaffree, a King County League member, will talk about the book she has written about her mother, Mary Ellen McCaffree, who represented the 32d District in the 1960’s, at Best Western Plus Executive Inn
- October 21, 2017 – 9:30am – Annie Blackledge, Executive Director of The Mockingbird Society, will speak about how her organization advocates for improved foster care and ending youth homelessness – at Best Western Plus Executive Inn
- November 18, 2017 – TBD
- December 16, 2017 – 9:30 am – Holiday Program at Seattle Yacht Club with the Endolyne Children’s Choir of West Seattle